What do Advertising and Promotions Managers do?
Plan, direct, or coordinate advertising policies and programs or produce collateral materials, such as posters, contests, coupons, or give-aways, to create extra interest in the purchase of a product or service for a department, an entire organization, or on an account basis.
- Inspect layouts and advertising copy and edit scripts, audio and video tapes, and other promotional material for adherence to specifications.
- Plan and prepare advertising and promotional material to increase sales of products or services, working with customers, company officials, sales departments and advertising agencies.
- Gather and organize information to plan advertising campaigns.
- Confer with clients to provide marketing or technical advice.
- Direct, motivate, and monitor the mobilization of a campaign team to advance campaign goals.
- Confer with department heads or staff to discuss topics such as contracts, selection of advertising media, or product to be advertised.
- Prepare budgets and submit estimates for program costs as part of campaign plan development.
- Prepare and negotiate advertising and sales contracts.
- Plan and execute advertising policies and strategies for organizations.
- Assist with annual budget development.
- Provide presentation and product demonstration support during the introduction of new products and services to field staff and customers.
- Formulate plans to extend business with established accounts and to transact business as agent for advertising accounts.
- Direct and coordinate product research and development.
- Identify and develop contacts for promotional campaigns and industry programs that meet identified buyer targets such as dealers, distributors, or consumers.
- Represent company at trade association meetings to promote products.
- Read trade journals and professional literature to stay informed on trends, innovations, and changes that affect media planning.
- Consult publications to learn about conventions and social functions and to organize prospect files for promotional purposes.
- Coordinate activities of departments, such as sales, graphic arts, media, finance, and research.
- Train and direct workers engaged in developing and producing advertisements.
- Track program budgets and expenses and campaign response rates to evaluate each campaign based on program objectives and industry norms.
- Monitor and analyze sales promotion results to determine cost effectiveness of promotion campaigns.
- Coordinate with the media to disseminate advertising.
- Contact organizations to explain services and facilities offered.
- Manage sales team including setting goals, providing incentives, and evaluating employee performance.
- Assemble and communicate with a strong, diverse coalition of organizations or public figures, securing their cooperation, support and action, to further campaign goals.
Related Jobs (Advertising and Promotions Managers)