What do First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers do?
Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of production and operating workers, such as inspectors, precision workers, machine setters and operators, assemblers, fabricators, and plant and system operators.
- Enforce safety and sanitation regulations.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of employees engaged in the production or processing of goods, such as inspectors, machine setters, and fabricators.
- Confer with other supervisors to coordinate operations and activities within or between departments.
- Plan and establish work schedules, assignments, and production sequences to meet production goals.
- Inspect materials, products, or equipment to detect defects or malfunctions.
- Observe work and monitor gauges, dials, and other indicators to ensure that operators conform to production or processing standards.
- Conduct employee training in equipment operations or work and safety procedures, or assign employee training to experienced workers.
- Interpret specifications, blueprints, job orders, and company policies and procedures for workers.
- Keep records of employees' attendance and hours worked.
- Read and analyze charts, work orders, production schedules, and other records and reports to determine production requirements and to evaluate current production estimates and outputs.
- Requisition materials, supplies, equipment parts, or repair services.
- Maintain operations data, such as time, production, and cost records, and prepare management reports of production results.
- Determine standards, budgets, production goals, and rates, based on company policies, equipment and labor availability, and workloads.
- Confer with management or subordinates to resolve worker problems, complaints, or grievances.
- Set up and adjust machines and equipment.
- Recommend or implement measures to motivate employees and to improve production methods, equipment performance, product quality, or efficiency.
- Recommend or execute personnel actions, such as hirings, evaluations, and promotions.
- Calculate labor and equipment requirements and production specifications, using standard formulas.
- Plan and develop new products and production processes.
Related Jobs (First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers)