What do First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers do?
Directly supervise and coordinate activities of retail sales workers in an establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Provide customer service by greeting and assisting customers, and responding to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Direct and supervise employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for customers.
- Monitor sales activities to ensure that customers receive satisfactory service and quality goods.
- Inventory stock and reorder when inventory drops to a specified level.
- Instruct staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales.
- Hire, train, and evaluate personnel in sales or marketing establishments, promoting or firing workers when appropriate.
- Assign employees to specific duties.
- Enforce safety, health, and security rules.
- Examine merchandise to ensure that it is correctly priced and displayed and that it functions as advertised.
- Plan budgets and authorize payments and merchandise returns.
- Perform work activities of subordinates, such as cleaning and organizing shelves and displays and selling merchandise.
- Plan and prepare work schedules and keep records of employees' work schedules and time cards.
- Review inventory and sales records to prepare reports for management and budget departments.
- Examine products purchased for resale or received for storage to assess the condition of each product or item.
- Establish and implement policies, goals, objectives, and procedures for their department.
- Confer with company officials to develop methods and procedures to increase sales, expand markets, and promote business.
- Estimate consumer demand and determine the types and amounts of goods to be sold.
- Formulate pricing policies for merchandise, according to profitability requirements.
- Establish credit policies and operating procedures.
- Keep records of purchases, sales, and requisitions.
- Plan and coordinate advertising campaigns and sales promotions, and prepare merchandise displays and advertising copy.
Related Jobs (First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers)