What do Sales Managers do?
Plan, direct, or coordinate the actual distribution or movement of a product or service to the customer. Coordinate sales distribution by establishing sales territories, quotas, and goals and establish training programs for sales representatives. Analyze sales statistics gathered by staff to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and monitor the preferences of customers.
- Resolve customer complaints regarding sales and service.
- Oversee regional and local sales managers and their staffs.
- Plan and direct staffing, training, and performance evaluations to develop and control sales and service programs.
- Determine price schedules and discount rates.
- Review operational records and reports to project sales and determine profitability.
- Monitor customer preferences to determine focus of sales efforts.
- Prepare budgets and approve budget expenditures.
- Confer or consult with department heads to plan advertising services and to secure information on equipment and customer specifications.
- Direct and coordinate activities involving sales of manufactured products, services, commodities, real estate or other subjects of sale.
- Confer with potential customers regarding equipment needs and advise customers on types of equipment to purchase.
- Direct foreign sales and service outlets of an organization.
- Advise dealers and distributors on policies and operating procedures to ensure functional effectiveness of business.
- Visit franchised dealers to stimulate interest in establishment or expansion of leasing programs.
- Direct clerical staff to keep records of export correspondence, bid requests, and credit collections, and to maintain current information on tariffs, licenses, and restrictions.
- Direct, coordinate, and review activities in sales and service accounting and recordkeeping, and in receiving and shipping operations.
- Assess marketing potential of new and existing store locations, considering statistics and expenditures.
- Represent company at trade association meetings to promote products.
Related Jobs (Sales Managers)